Production and Studio Assistant
We’re looking for a Production and Studio Assistant to join our team. This is the perfect role if you want to gain experience in both the creative and technical aspects of building a brand from the ground up.
About Usual Objections
We make and sell our own swim and activewear from our studio in London, focusing on sustainability and quality. We also offer sampling and manufacturing services to other like-minded designers, and we’ll soon be offering workshops and talks - in person and online.
Usual Objections was set up with a mission to inspire, enable and equip our customers to overcome the obstacles and objections holding them back (in sport and in life).
We’re a small company with big ambitions! We’d love you to grow with us.
About the role
You’ll be an integral part of our team to design, develop and produce our own products as well as working with clients for sampling and manufacturing services. We have a basics range but are looking to include limited edition capsule collections for more cutting edge/alternative pieces. There will be plenty of opportunities to get stuck in and contribute to many different aspects of the business.
- Assist in design and pattern cutting processes for our own products and those of our clients when necessary (pattern cutting can be taught/outsourced if required)
- Assist in sourcing and ordering fabrics and raw materials for each project Approve materials and samples, including measuring and checking for errors in construction
- Coordinate meetings with production staff (machinist, pattern cutter, designer, etc) and client, if applicable
- Maintain production calendar and issue cut and sew tickets to sewing team
- Take detailed notes/photos in all fittings and send a recap to production team and client
- General admin tasks
An ideal candidate:
- Have a design or technical background with sportswear
- Have good illustrator/photoshop skills
- Exceptional organisational skills
- Communicate effectively with our in-house team, clients and suppliers
- Experience with industrial sewing machines and ideally with stretch/jersey fabrics, but we can also provide training
- Have a strong visual eye and attention to detail Work as part of a team
- Have a keen interest in swimming, sports and wellbeing
- We do as much as possible in-house including fabric printing, fabric cutting, grading, digitising of patterns, sampling and production.
- Machines used: lockstitch, coverstitch, overlocker, flatlock, bartack
- Printing facilities include DTF for placement print and sublimation.
- Full time / Freelance
- We pay London Living Wage or more subject to experience (from £11.05/hour)
- Work on site in Dalston, East London, though some travel may be required
- Flexible working hours if needed
Usual Objections is a member of 1% for the Planet and East End Trades Guild and we’re committed to being socially and environmentally positive. It is important that whoever joins our team feels valued, has an opportunity to use their voice, and learn and progress through the business. We want to create a culture that is welcoming, pushing boundaries and a fun place to be! If you think this sounds right for you, get in touch - we’d love to hear from you!
Please send your CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org